The charity “Solntse” (“The Sun”) was created in St.-Petersburg in 2007. It is the successor of the Swedish children's charity named after the memory of Suzanne Vesterberg which supported street children and teenagers in St.-Petersburg in the early nineties of the last century. The charity “The Sun” is a non-profit organization created to help needy children of St.-Petersburg.
The charity helps children living without parents, disabled children, victims of violence, orphans and the deprived, promotes programs for their further integration into the society and social adaptation. Also we have developed the program for children born with low body weight (starting from 500 grams) which helps to perform the necessary rehabilitation so that the child can grow up healthy and normal.
“The sun for grandkids” is also a unique program of comprehensive support of children-orphans and grandmothers who bring them up. In Russia there is no such program which embraces all special peculiarities of both the orphan and his grandmother. The program helps children to grow up in harmony and grandmothers to cope with their role of a “parent”. Every year we help more than one thousand children. Since our foundation more than 4500 children have received help and support. At present we have 530 children in care aged 0-18 years.
The charity “The Sun” helps:
- sick newborns, whose mothers are single or cannot cope with the illness and rehabilitation of their child;
- Children-orphans who are brought up by their grandmothers;
- children who receive long-term treatment in hospitals.
1. “The sun into a family” (help for ill newborns, whose mothers are single and in trouble or whose families face difficult life situations).
2. “The sun for grandkids” (The program helps families where grandmothers play the role of a parent regardless the reasons why it so happened. We support grandmothers who bring up their grandkids alone).
3. “Children's hospital” (Children's hospital №3 is located at Vasilevskiy Ostrov in St.-Petersburg and provides treatment for children with infections. It has the largest tuberculosis department in our city. Annually about 600 children aged from several months till 18 years receive treatment there. There are many children from families of migrants and refugees, orphans from children's homes there.).
4. “The Island” (This program exists for 12 years and is well-known among deprived and homeless children and teenagers of St.-Petersburg. There they can get meals, clothes, first medical care, wash up and do laundry. Emphatic teachers and psychologists consult and help in case of a crisis situation: to reissue documents, receive treatment, return to the family if it is possible. One can see “The Island” dark blue bus in places where the street children gather. Every month more than hundred of children receive hot meals).
5. “Children's home” (Special psychoneurological children's home №14 is a state health and preventive care establishment for children-orphans and children living without parents).
6. “The Sun volunteers” (The program attracts volunteers. We need help for children regardless their age: - orphans; - hospital patients; - children whose families face difficult life situations).
7. Support for children's health care institutions (fund raising for children's health care institutions to cover expenses for the necessary modern equipment for proper medical care for children).